cocoon-docs mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: FAQ and snippet, document() function
Date Wed, 10 Jul 2002 13:36:01 GMT

Diana Shannon wrote:

> On Tuesday, July 9, 2002, at 06:04  PM, Conal Tuohy wrote:
>
>> Don't be too quick to deprecate document()!
>

> Did my draft suggest that? Are you saying that pointing out the problems
> associated with using the document() function in a Cocoon environment
> (e.g. caching)
> which may discourage use of the document() function "in effect"
> suggests "deprecation"?

It's not deprecated, but simply:
1. not supported
2. not recommended
3. inappropriate, because it mixes concerns.

XML is content. XSL style.
Style should never *work* on content, just transform it.
Aggregation is basically not something to do at the style phase, because
it injects vital information in the data flow.
For example, if I used the document() function to aggregate your
homepage with some nasty page, would you say it's just style?

             - verba volant, scripta manent -