cocoon-docs mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@indexgeo.com.au>
Subject RE: Cocoon docs link check
Date Thu, 11 Jul 2002 08:41:55 GMT
Conal Tuohy wrote:
> Hi David
>
> When you say "more automation is needed" and "does anyone have a clever
> solution", what kind of thing did you have in mind? i.e. What in your
> opinion is deficient about the link-checking tools that are currently used?

One deficiency that i see is the issue of tracking the
external breaks. If we knew that a particular link was
continually broken (say on 3 runs), then we remove it.
Otherwise let it pass.

LinkAlarm is good, but Cocoon cannot rely on that
because its use is an external donation to Cocoon.

Perhaps the Cocoon LinkStatus Generator can be expanded
to also do external links. However, link robots are an art.

For the next while the LinkAlarm reports are available
and so we could build upon the new Cocoon Sample which
retrieves the concise listing. LinkAlarm only stores one
set of reports, so Cocoon would need to store its own
copies to retain a history of broken external links.

That is no problem, we can manually place them in CVS.
Then we would need a Cocoon Generator to compare each
links.broken-YYYYMMDD.txt file and alert about the bad ones.

This would be a great tool. We use LinkAlarm on our
own website. Always too busy to fix them all. With such
a tool we could attend to just the bad links.

We also need a better way to track which broken links
have been fixed, to reduce duplication of effort.
--David