cocoon-docs mailing list archives

From "Conal Tuohy" <con...@paradise.net.nz>
Subject RE: FAQ and snippet, document() function
Date Thu, 11 Jul 2002 08:58:30 GMT

<snip/>

> Remember that using document(), you are effectively bypassing
> the Cocoon
> cache mechanism.
> We will be able to give a TTL for the cache of single
> aggregation parts;
>   with XSLT it will not be possible, because out of our control.

Yeah the XInclude example of mine (in Diana's posting that started this
thread) started off using document() (wrongly!), but I changed it to use
XInclude and fixed that problem.

I think this cache problem is likely to be resolved soon though.
Incidentally the same problem exists with <xsl:import>. I read some
discussion about it on the Cocoon-Dev list recently - it certainly sounded
feasible.
http://www.mail-archive.com/cocoon-dev@xml.apache.org/msg16663.html

> What you need is an XSLT-like syntax for aggregation,
> because you may need many documents and not only one?
>
> Again, you should have them defined in the Generation stage,
> where you
> have created the include directives, not after.

The tricky thing is where the inclusion is recursive. In this situation you
have a whole series of generation and aggregation stages. You have to use
recursion, and your choices are to make recursive calls in the sitemap, or
to make recursive calls in the XSLT.