cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Francesco Chicchiriccò <ilgro...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Cocoon 2.2 with Java 8 and Spring Framework 4.2?
Date Mon, 26 Oct 2015 07:34:32 GMT
On 23/10/2015 18:05, Gabriel Gruber wrote:
> Hello Cocooners!
>
> Are there still some people using cocoon in a production application?
>  We still use it in our standard product and now have the challenge to
> migrate to java 1.8 and spring framework 4.2.
>
> While this gives us a few issues to solve in terms of migrating code
> relying on spring 3, we now face the challenge that we have to touch
> cocoon again. As cocoon 2.2 heavily relies on spring, I wondered if
> anyone of you guys has also ready tried to upgrade cocoon 2.2 to
> spring 4.2 (and implicitly also to java 1.8 - also with JDK 1.8
> bytecode compatibility turned on).
>
> While the trunk of cocoon (2.2) still uses officially spring 2.5.5 it
> actually runs without problems also with latest 3.2.x of spring. But
> never tried with spring 4.x so far and according to our first tries
> with our product I assume there could be some more (heavy) issues,
> because minimum  requirements to list of supported libraries has
> changed quite a bit.
>
> https://github.com/spring-projects/spring-framework/wiki/Migrating-from-earlier-versions-of-the-spring-framework

> As an example the Cocoon Spring Configurator needed some small
> changes, as it was not compiling against Spring 4.2. Other projects I
> have not tried so far.
>
> Is there an interest in the community to make this changes in the trunk?

Hi Gabriel,
I do run actually few Cocoon instances in production, but that's
3.0.0(-beta-1-SNAPSHOT...). I used to run Cocoon 2.1.X as well.

Unfortunately, I am not very confident with 2.2, but if you would like
to provide some patches against Spring Configurator [1] or any other
component to bring them to latest Spring version, I would be happy to
review and handle your contribution(s).

Please be sure to review our contribution docs[2].

Regards.

[1]
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/subprojects/cocoon-spring-configurator/trunk/
[2] http://cocoon.apache.org/1273_1_1.html