cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Robby Pelssers <Robby.Pelss...@nxp.com>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] Release plan
Date Mon, 12 Nov 2012 10:17:06 GMT
Hi Francesco,

Sounds like a good plan to me. We should make sure that all open tasks are JIRA tickets and
we should have on our front page listed which tickets are in scope for 3.0.0 release.  (perhaps
also with status). And if possible a target release date ;-)

This will give everyone a clear overview and a focus what to work on.  And maybe we can discuss
internally in what order the tickets should be resolved in order to work efficiently.

Robby

-----Original Message-----
From: Francesco Chicchiriccò [mailto:ilgrosso@apache.org]
Sent: Monday, November 12, 2012 10:25 AM
To: dev@cocoon.apache.org
Subject: [DISCUSS] Release plan

Hi all,
yet another thread asking about Cocoon project vitality [1] was recently started.

Besides other things, one of major issues seems to be the lack of a stable C3 release (but
also missing updates for C2.2).

=================

About C2.2.1, there is an outstanding request by Thorsten [2] asking for support on releasing
the C2.2.X series.
This means we could do this with no code effort: we just need someone either acting as RM
or supporting Thorsten (I guess) as RM.

=================

About C3, we *really* need to provide a stable release in the near
future: the last official release is still alpha and, even though most of us are running latest
SNAPSHOTs in production environment, we cannot ask this to end-users.

AFAICT, the major outstanding issues that need to be solved before attempting to release 3.0.0-beta-1
(and after this a 3.0.0 release) are related to:

 * caching: COCOON3-30 / COCOON3-100 - an imperfect solution was implemented for COCOON3-61
(which actually needs some additional fixing I am going to provide in the next two weeks for
a customer) that can be applied to COCOON3-100 as well; I'd rather move COCOON3-30 (and other
caching improvements) to C3 3.0.1

 * problems running >2 C3 webapps in the same container (COCOON3-107):
together with Javier and Thorsten, during hackaton at latest ApacheCon EU 2012, we have probably
found a way to fix this but performed no implementation yet

We have also other stuff [3] but I'd move any other issue to either 3.0.X or 3.1.0.

Finally, we have some outstanding proposals for improving the pipeline APIs from Simone [4]
and Reinhard [5]: I'd push this anyway to C3 3.1.0.

In addition to the code issues above, we need to improve and finish the documentation [6],
still plenty of 'TBW' and javadocs (COCOON3-92); I would take these as blockers for 3.0.0,
but not for 3.0.0-beta-1.

=================

My questions now are:

 1. Would you agree with the above drafted release plan?

 2. If so, who is available to help with these tasks? Consider that documentation tasks are
an easier way to contribute to the project even without development skills.

If you've been using C3 and appreciate this, please don't deny your
help: we really need it!

Regards.

[1] http://markmail.org/message/ycdrjbtx736akli3
[2] http://markmail.org/message/xs2wmijgej76n5u2