cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Francesco Chicchiriccò <ilgro...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Releasing 2.1.12
Date Mon, 19 Nov 2012 10:40:24 GMT
On 19/11/2012 10:45, Cédric Damioli wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Le 18/11/2012 18:35, Francesco Chicchiriccò a écrit :
>> Hi all (but Cédric in particular),
>> by looking at JIRA [1] it seems that quite a considerable number of
>> issues have been fixed since 2.1.11 (31) even though some are still
>> standing (11+2).
>>
>> Following our recent discussion in another thread, I have some
>> questions to Cédric (and other C2.1 devs, if there are...):
>>
>>  1. Do you think that the the 13 outstanding issues can be moved to
>> 2.1.13 or there are some that need to be absolutely included in 2.1.12?
> 3 of them were opened by myself before gaining committership. [1] [2] [3]
> I could have closed them already, but was waiting for others'
> approval. I don't know if someone has something to say about them ...

I think you can safely apply the "lazy consensus" [1] here, especially
since it seems there is no one else - but you - taking care of C2.1
issues :-(

> The 10 others issues are more than 2 years old
>
> There are also 74 issues with no "fix for" version (29 with a patch
> included) but affecting a 2.1.x version
>
> We should maybe ask 2.1 users if there are particular issues they want
> to be fixed before cutting a 2.1.12 ?

I think you should send an e-mail to users@ ML asking to review the 74
issues reported above (a direct link to the JIRA search would be
helpful) and to explicitly set the fix-for-version to 2.1.12 if they
absolutely require so.
Once 72 hours have passed by, you can look at the results and see what
to do; for any other non-answered issue, I think you can apply again [4].

>>   2. Is the release process clear to you? If not, who (maybe active
>> in the past) can provide some hint?
> Not really.
> I think there was once a page written by Carsten describing the
> release process, but I can't find it anymore.

I guess we should directly ask Carlsten, then: let's see if he replies
here, otherwise we can try to contact him somehow else.

>> 3. Do you need any help in the release process? If so, who is
>> available to help? I am, even though I don't remember pretty anything
>> of C2.1...
> Yes please
> It would be great if 2 or 3 people other than me could try to run unit
> tests and run samples.
> Almost 5 years after the 2.1.11, I also don't remember all blocks, it
> would be great to also have feedbacks from users of some specific blocks.

Just show what steps are needed to make such verifications; about the
"completeness" of such verifications, I think that only dalily usage can
do better, hence don't worry too much.

>>   4. Considering the questions above, when do you think we can start
>> releasing 2.1.12?
> Depending if we try to gather some feedbacks from devs and users or
> not, it could be quite fast, say in the next few days.
> But 5 years after, we can afford one or two more weeks if needed

My opinion here is to try to be as safe as possible, but also to try to
release ASAP - at most before the end of the year: we cannot afford
additional delay: let's apply [4] as much as possible and leave any
missing piece from 2.1.13: I hope it won't take 4 more years :-)

Regards.

[4] http://www.apache.org/foundation/glossary.html#LazyConsensus

--
Francesco Chicchiriccò