cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Francesco Chicchiriccò <ilgro...@apache.org>
Subject [DISCUSS] Release plan
Date Mon, 12 Nov 2012 09:25:00 GMT
Hi all,
yet another thread asking about Cocoon project vitality [1] was recently
started.

Besides other things, one of major issues seems to be the lack of a
stable C3 release (but also missing updates for C2.2).

=================

About C2.2.1, there is an outstanding request by Thorsten [2] asking for
support on releasing the C2.2.X series.
This means we could do this with no code effort: we just need someone
either acting as RM or supporting Thorsten (I guess) as RM.

=================

About C3, we *really* need to provide a stable release in the near
future: the last official release is still alpha and, even though most
of us are running latest SNAPSHOTs in production environment, we cannot
ask this to end-users.

AFAICT, the major outstanding issues that need to be solved before
attempting to release 3.0.0-beta-1 (and after this a 3.0.0 release) are
related to:

 * caching: COCOON3-30 / COCOON3-100 - an imperfect solution was
implemented for COCOON3-61 (which actually needs some additional fixing
I am going to provide in the next two weeks for a customer) that can be
applied to COCOON3-100 as well; I'd rather move COCOON3-30 (and other
caching improvements) to C3 3.0.1

 * problems running >2 C3 webapps in the same container (COCOON3-107):
together with Javier and Thorsten, during hackaton at latest ApacheCon
EU 2012, we have probably found a way to fix this but performed no
implementation yet

We have also other stuff [3] but I'd move any other issue to either
3.0.X or 3.1.0.

Finally, we have some outstanding proposals for improving the pipeline
APIs from Simone [4] and Reinhard [5]: I'd push this anyway to C3 3.1.0.

In addition to the code issues above, we need to improve and finish the
documentation [6], still plenty of 'TBW' and javadocs (COCOON3-92); I
would take these as blockers for 3.0.0, but not for 3.0.0-beta-1.

=================

My questions now are:

 1. Would you agree with the above drafted release plan?

 2. If so, who is available to help with these tasks? Consider that
documentation tasks are an easier way to contribute to the project even
without development skills.

If you've been using C3 and appreciate this, please don't deny your
help: we really need it!

Regards.

[1] http://markmail.org/message/ycdrjbtx736akli3
[2] http://markmail.org/message/xs2wmijgej76n5u2