cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Javier Puerto <jpue...@gmail.com>
Subject Caching improvement ( from: Cocoon presentation link and questions about new contributions)
Date Fri, 12 Oct 2012 11:58:11 GMT
Hi Peter,

I've open a new thread as Thorsten did because I opened too many things in
a single mail. :)

2012/10/11 Peter Hunsberger <peter.hunsberger@gmail.com>

> Hi Javier,
>
> not quite sure what you are asking about?  I know you're asking about
> caching implementations, but it's not clear what the problem is in general
> that you are addressing, or is this just a solution for a very specific
> problem?  Is this caching Cocoon resources, HTTP level caching or maybe
> even something in between?

There's no problems in Apache Cocoon 3.0 caching system. It's working OK
but I think that it could be better. With old cocoon releases, the caching
system relies on the now discontinued framework Apache Excalibur [1].

Cocoon 3.0 was rewritten to remove dependencies for these frameworks. Now,
it has something similar now but it's lacks support for fragment caching
[2] [3]. If a pipeline has a component that is not cacheable, the whole
pipeline will be processed. With fragment caching all the components
results are cached so the pipeline will start the execution with the first
non-cacheable component. This can be minimized splitting big pipelines into
smaller ones but sometimes is not desirable.

When Francesco and I worked making the XIncludeTransformer and
IncludeTransformer cacheable respectively, we found that we had to create
something similar to old caching style. So I wonder if we can put some
effort to migrate the old caching system, see discussion in [4].

At end we need to add Javadoc to the current caching interfaces [5].

Salu2

[1] http://excalibur.apache.org/
[2] http://cocoon.apache.org/2.2/core-modules/core/2.2/675_1_1.html
[3] http://cocoon.apache.org/2.2/core-modules/core/2.2/690_1_1.html