cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Javier Puerto <jav...@apache.org>
Subject Cocoon presentation link and questions about new contributions
Date Wed, 10 Oct 2012 22:38:57 GMT
Hi all,

I had working for an introduction talk about cocoon and I want lo leave the
github link. The presentation is in Spanish because was for the
http://barcampspain.com/ and http://www.congresohispanoluso.com/en/. Comes
with examples made with cocoon 3.0 parsing a F1 sport webpage and serve the
contents in different formats. If you are interested I can translate the
presentation to English (examples and code are in English).

Link: https://github.com/jpuerto/barcampes2012-cocoon

Working on the presentation I did a proof of concept creating an Apache
Tika generator. It's working but needs to enable caching and add the proper
test cases and samples. If you are interested, I can finish it and commit
changes.

While I was working with cocoon at work time I started a
OptimizerTransformer but I've found that IncludeTransformer is not
cacheable so I worked first to get it cacheable (COCOON3-100)
The transformer development is just at the beginning but before I continue
to work with it I want your opinion. The idea is to use YUI compressor (BSD
license) and define a custom language to define the static resources as CSS
and JS. The transformer should review the resources, respect the order,
compress the files and create optimized resources in a given path (to serve
from Apache HTTPD with mod_cache and different domain). As this operation
has a high cost, the transformer must control if the resource files
changed. Finally, the transformer will place the proper tag with the URL
for optimized static resources.

WDYT? maybe there's better solutions (I know google HTTPD mod_pagespeed but
it's always in beta state). The advantage is that you don't need to define
everything at build time, with maven plugin for example so you can organize
your static resources like you want (no one big file for all). On the other
hand it has a high processor cost, but caching should minimize it.

I didn't had time to work in Apache Cocoon 3.0 caching system since a
couple of months ago. Recently, I had to switch the project and ATM I'm not
working directly with cocoon. I want to take a closer look to the caching
system when I can get some free time (COCOON3-30 and fragment caching),
probably at December. Anyway, I will try to help in the mailing list and
make some contributions like described above.

I hope to see you soon in the ApacheCon,
Salu2.