cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Francesco Chicchiriccò <ilgro...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Cocoon presentation link and questions about new contributions
Date Thu, 11 Oct 2012 07:22:08 GMT
On 11/10/2012 00:38, Javier Puerto wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I had working for an introduction talk about cocoon and I want lo
> leave the github link. The presentation is in Spanish because was for
> the http://barcampspain.com/ and
> http://www.congresohispanoluso.com/en/. Comes with examples made with
> cocoon 3.0 parsing a F1 sport webpage and serve the contents in
> different formats. If you are interested I can translate the
> presentation to English (examples and code are in English).
>
> Link: https://github.com/jpuerto/barcampes2012-cocoon
>
> Working on the presentation I did a proof of concept creating an
> Apache Tika generator. It's working but needs to enable caching and
> add the proper test cases and samples. If you are interested, I can
> finish it and commit changes.

+1
It looks very cool :-)

> While I was working with cocoon at work time I started a
> OptimizerTransformer but I've found that IncludeTransformer is not
> cacheable so I worked first to get it cacheable (COCOON3-100)
> The transformer development is just at the beginning but before I
> continue to work with it I want your opinion. The idea is to use YUI
> compressor (BSD license) and define a custom language to define the
> static resources as CSS and JS. The transformer should review the
> resources, respect the order, compress the files and create optimized
> resources in a given path (to serve from Apache HTTPD with mod_cache
> and different domain). As this operation has a high cost, the
> transformer must control if the resource files changed. Finally, the
> transformer will place the proper tag with the URL for optimized
> static resources.
>
> WDYT? maybe there's better solutions (I know google HTTPD
> mod_pagespeed but it's always in beta state). The advantage is that
> you don't need to define everything at build time, with maven plugin
> for example so you can organize your static resources like you want
> (no one big file for all). On the other hand it has a high processor
> cost, but caching should minimize it.

This sounds very interesting as well: as you know, I've been working on
caching issues with XIncludeTransformer as well and I've ended up with a
temporary solution - mainly because I needed that for a customer of
mine. Actually, it is proving to be working quite well but your approach
seems to me largely better in the long term.

> I didn't had time to work in Apache Cocoon 3.0 caching system since a
> couple of months ago. Recently, I had to switch the project and ATM
> I'm not working directly with cocoon. I want to take a closer look to
> the caching system when I can get some free time (COCOON3-30 and
> fragment caching), probably at December. Anyway, I will try to help in
> the mailing list and make some contributions like described above.

I was actually waiting for COCOON3-30 / COCOON3-100 to take breath for
cutting a M1 release (I know, we're talking of this since too much
time...); in C3 timing terms, December is like as tomorrow, hence I'd
like to support as soon as you'll be able to get back on this.

> I hope to see you soon in the ApacheCon,

Yep, me too: who's coming??? Chance to have a small Cocoon Get Together
(or just a beer) there?

Regards.

--
Francesco Chicchiriccò