cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <scher...@gmail.com>
Subject BlockContextURLConnection is not context safe
Date Tue, 18 Sep 2012 21:57:29 GMT
Hi all,

I am working on COCOON3-105 whenever I find a sec, but I am thinking
about the underlying problem for a while now.

To resume, the blockcontext:/ is being registered as an extension to
java.net.URLConnection. In case of a not-known protocol we will create
the StreamHandler (who is responsible to open the urlConnection) once -
for the whole container!

This happens in the BlockContextURLStreamHandlerFactory in the method
createURLStreamHandler(String protocol). Like said: only once (!) we
call this method even if we have two different servlets using different
blockcontext. This finally leads to that the BlockContextURLConnection
only knows the blockcontext of the first requested blockcontext and
ignores any others.

Some possible solution I see:
- move the resolving of the blockcontext into the
BlockContextURLConnection. I tried that in the patch I attached to the
issue but the problem is that the second request has no ServletContext
associated to it so we cannot get the blocks. -> since we cannot resolve
here the blockcontext this solution does not work
- use a global blockcontext map. A reference to a global blockcontext
map will be kept and this map needs to be merged when a new app is
deployed (if needed). However that leads to many open issue like
security, version, etc.

Further how do you undeploy the protocol since undeploying the
underlying servlet would need to undeploy only a part of the
blockcontext protocol.

I am not sure how to overcome above obstacles and would love any
thoughts from the community.

salu2

--
Thorsten Scherler <scherler.at.gmail.com>
codeBusters S.L. - web based systems

http://www.codebusters.es/