cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Robby Pelssers <Robby.Pelss...@nxp.com>
Subject RE: possible design flaw in servlet service (c2.2)
Date Wed, 14 Mar 2012 12:29:57 GMT
Hi Thorsten,

I will further elaborate my issue in a follow-up mail with some test setup and test data.

Keep you posted,
Robby

From: Thorsten Scherler [mailto:scherler@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 1:26 PM
To: dev@cocoon.apache.org
Subject: Re: possible design flaw in servlet service (c2.2)

On 03/14/2012 11:19 AM, Robby Pelssers wrote:
Hi guys,

I was just having a chat with my colleague about writing servlet services in one block and
using them in another block.  And I told him apparently you can only return xml from a servlet
service.  I found this out by writing a service (plain old XSLT) which takes as input XML
and returns text or in my particular case JSON.

Whereas this XSLT gets the job done if I use it in a regular pipeline, I could not use it
in a servlet service.  Is there a good reason the output from a servlet service can only be
XML?  On the docs from C3 for instance http://cocoon.apache.org/3.0/reference/html-single/index.html
I read following statement:

It is the responsibility of the Producer to decide whether a specific Consumer can be linked
to it or not (that is, whether it can produce output in the desired format of the Consumer
or not).

Does this mean C3 would not have this restriction?

I am not sure what you are referring to but it strikes me ought "a servlet service can only
be XML". Need to find some time to setup a small test myself, but AFAIK the service can return
whatever.

salu2

--

Thorsten Scherler <scherler.at.gmail.com>

codeBusters S.L. - web based systems

<consulting, training and solutions>

http://www.codebusters.es/