cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Robby Pelssers <Robby.Pelss...@nxp.com>
Subject possible design flaw in servlet service (c2.2)
Date Wed, 14 Mar 2012 10:19:49 GMT
Hi guys,

I was just having a chat with my colleague about writing servlet services in one block and
using them in another block.  And I told him apparently you can only return xml from a servlet
service.  I found this out by writing a service (plain old XSLT) which takes as input XML
and returns text or in my particular case JSON.

Whereas this XSLT gets the job done if I use it in a regular pipeline, I could not use it
in a servlet service.  Is there a good reason the output from a servlet service can only be
XML?  On the docs from C3 for instance http://cocoon.apache.org/3.0/reference/html-single/index.html
I read following statement:

It is the responsibility of the Producer to decide whether a specific Consumer can be linked
to it or not (that is, whether it can produce output in the desired format of the Consumer
or not).

Does this mean C3 would not have this restriction?

Robby