I totally agree with Jos.  If your app mainly consists of transformations with XSLT, you should be able to migrate within a few days.  If your complete app depends on XSP’s you will have to spent a lot more time of course. But we’ve been in the same situation and I guess 2 or 3 people should be able to manage to port in a matter of 1 a 2 weeks.  I advise you to first follow the samples demo and try to implement a few small use cases from your existing app.  If you run into any issue address this to the mailinglist in order to evaluate the risks upfront.

Robby

From: Jos Snellings [mailto:Jos.Snellings@pandora.be]
Sent: Monday, January 16, 2012 3:05 PM
To: dev@cocoon.apache.org
Subject: Re: Porting to current cocoon version

Hello Wolfram,

The first. Cocoon 3 is rather a complete rewrite of the framework.
The benefit: the dependencies of the framework have been limited to a minimum.
A half-advantage: the scripting capabilities have been limited to stringtemplate. This sort of enforces scripts to do 'strictly presentation'.
The minus side:  old xsp scripts have to be rewritten.
It all depends on how many xsp and flow scripts you have out there.

Kind regards,
Jos