I totally agree with Jos. If your app mainly consists of transformations with XSLT, you should be able to migrate within a few days. If your complete app depends on XSP’s you will have to spent a lot more time of course. But we’ve been in the same situation and I guess 2 or 3 people should be able to manage to port in a matter of 1 a 2 weeks. I advise you to first follow the samples demo and try to implement a few small use cases from your existing app. If you run into any issue address this to the mailinglist in order to evaluate the risks upfront.
The first. Cocoon 3 is rather a complete rewrite of the framework.
The benefit: the dependencies of the framework have been limited to a minimum.
A half-advantage: the scripting capabilities have been limited to stringtemplate. This sort of enforces scripts to do 'strictly presentation'.
The minus side: old xsp scripts have to be rewritten.
It all depends on how many xsp and flow scripts you have out there.
On 01/16/2012 02:54 PM, Wolfram Eisert wrote:
does that mean there is no xsp available in Cocoon 3 at all or that it's just not recommended?
2012/1/16 Jos Snellings <Jos.Snellings@pandora.be>
Dear mr. Eisert,
1. I believe it does. I am using the beta version in a "preproduction environment" for quite some time and it is stable.
2. It depends on what you mean by configuration. The sitemap will need some slight adaptations.
Specifics from cocoon 2.2 will no longer hold.
- no flowscripts
- xsp is "banned"
There is a nonvanishing upgrade effort.
3. no, it should be written. I never used all of cocoon 2.x, but from my experience:
- start project from 'cocoon sample and cocoon sample webapp'
- plan need for conversion scripts
- adapt sitemap
- adjust configuration (which is now essentially spring configuration)
it depends a great deal on what you have been using in cocoon 2.x.
On 01/16/2012 12:51 PM, Wolfram Eisert wrote:
we are currently using Cocoon 2.0.4 and plan to update to a newer version during this year.
For that I have a few questions:
Thank you for your answers.
Geschäftsführer: Franz Fedra, Wolfram Eisert, Walter Christ
Steuer-Nr.:204 135 10911 Finanzamt Aschaffenburg
gemäß § 27 a Umsatzsteuergesetz: DE 112156180