cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Robby Pelssers <Robby.Pelss...@nxp.com>
Subject RE: HTML5 serializer
Date Fri, 06 Jan 2012 15:56:07 GMT
I am using Cocoon2.2 but am planning to switch to C3 in the upcoming months.  And  in my mail
I was actually referring to C3.    You are right about what you write but I'd prefer to have
a Serializer which follows the spec so I can just copy the output and validate it without
errors and too many warnings at http://validator.w3.org/

Robby

From: Jasha Joachimsthal [mailto:j.joachimsthal@onehippo.com]
Sent: Friday, January 06, 2012 4:51 PM
To: dev@cocoon.apache.org
Subject: Re: HTML5 serializer

Hey Robby,

which Cocoon version are you using for your project? In C2.1 and C2.2 there's not only a XMLSerializer
but also an HTMLSerializer and XHTMLSerializer for their specific needs. So why not create
your own HTML5Serializer?

In HTML5 the specification teams tried to specify what browsers were already doing instead
of making a new theoretical specification. HTML5 should be backwards compatible with previous
(X)HTML versions. This is the reason why some old elements are not deprecated but considered
obsolete (remember marquee, it was so cool on Geocities).
The doctype doesn't really matter, browsers generally ignore the PUBLIC part in the doctype
(apart from some hacks in IE going into quirks mode).
A good presentation about HTML5 is http://vimeo.com/15755349.

Jasha Joachimsthal

Europe - Amsterdam - Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam - +31(0)20 522 4466
US - Boston - 1 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02142 - +1 877 414 4776 (toll free)

www.onehippo.com<http://www.onehippo.com/>

On 6 January 2012 15:48, Robby Pelssers <Robby.Pelssers@nxp.com<mailto:Robby.Pelssers@nxp.com>>