cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Hartmann <andr...@apache.org>
Subject [C3] Error handling in REST controller
Date Mon, 19 Dec 2011 17:47:12 GMT
Hi all,

I just noticed that if a handler method in a RESTController throws an
exception and the sitemap doesn't contain an error handler, an empty
response with status code 200 is returned.

IMO this is not good. I see two approaches to improve it:

A) The SpringRESTController sets the status code to 500 if an exception
was thrown by the controller implementation.

B) The sitemap processor should catch the exception (I'm not familiar
with the implementation details yet) and send an appropriate response
(on a side note, it would be nice to be able to set the status-code
attribute for a Reader).

I have to admit that the whole concept how the REST controller in
combination with the sitemap should handle the request-response cycle is
a bit unclear to me. Is the REST controller always in charge of the
whole request-response cycle, up to setting the response status code? Is
the handle-errors element in the sitemap obsolete when the REST
controller is used?

IMO this would make sense, since the REST controller is much closer to
the HTTP details than "classic" G-T-S pipelines, where more stuff
happened in the sitemap (selectors for HTTP methods, serializers with
status-code attributes).

Anyways, there should be a clear contract between the sitemap and the
REST controller, something like:

* The REST controller is responsible for setting up the response,
including error handling.

* The handle-errors clause kicks in if an error occurs in the REST
controller itself.

WDYT?

-- Andreas

--