cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Francesco Chicchiriccò <ilgro...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [C3] Import subprojects proposal [WAS: Re: [c3] Log4j injection in target of blocks]
Date Sat, 24 Dec 2011 16:33:15 GMT
On 01/12/2011 21:47, Simone Tripodi wrote:
> Hi all guys!
>
> Apologies for the lack of participations but looks like contributing in more ASF communities
requires a lot of time! :)

> My position are:
>
> * +1 on migrating old components - that's true that we could maintain them in their proper
branch, but at the same time they would need an update to be more compliant with C3 - moreover,
since we agreed on migrating to Java6, it would worth started getting advantage from the new
platform - that would imply "subprojects" actualization.

> * +1 on restructuring the svn, I would like to restructure anyway the C3 first: IMHO
having all the modules in a flat structures starts being a little confusing, even to me that
I'm involved, I would suggest to move to a different hierarchical structure, grouping modules
by technology/extension type/application type.
> Moreover IMHO the 'optional' module should be split, it contains now a lot of good reusable
- more that at the begin - stuff that we could consider as a collection of modules.
> Of course, we have to pay attention to not overengineering.
> I would suggest as well to open a Sandbox open to all ASF committers to experiment new
modules.

> My proposal is considering the two topics separately, I would like Francesco lead the
topic #1, I can prepare during the weekend a proposal on how to restructure the SVN.

Hi all,
first of all, apologies for delay :-)

Here it follows some results from my investigation of our current SVN
repository ("from root to branches" someone would have said...) and also
a proposal of mine for making things a bit easier to work with.

I'll take the current structure at
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/ as reference and base URL.

*/branches/*
Move current /trunk/ under here as BRANCH_2_2_X (similar to BRANCH_2_1_X
and others, already present) so that any further activity on C2.2 can
take place here.

*/cocoon3/*
Move /cocoon3/trunk as /trunk/ (Simone restructuring as presented above
will take place here) and /cocoon3/tags/** under /tags, possibly
refactoring paths like as
/cocoon3/tags/cocoon-archetype-block/cocoon-archetype-block-3.0.0-alpha-3/
to simpler /tags/cocoon-archetype-block-3.0.0-alpha-3/

*/site/*
Merge this with current /cocoon3/trunk/cocoon-docs

*/tags/*
As said above for /cocoon3, move /cocoon3/tags/* here, possibly
refactoring paths

*/trunk/*
As said above for /cocoon3, move /cocoon3/trunk/* here.
Then, copy current trunk/subprojects/ (i.e.
/branches/BRANCH_2_2_X/subprojects/ after refactoring):
cocoon-block-deployment/
cocoon-configuration/
cocoon-jnet/
cocoon-servlet-service/
cocoon-xml/
Next, copy some modules from current trunk/tools/ (i.e.
/branches/BRANCH_2_2_X/tools/ after refactoring):
cocoon-it-fw/
cocoon-maven-plugin/
cocoon-rcl/
Finally, copy from current trunk/blocks/cocoon-serializers/ (i.e.
/branches/BRANCH_2_2_X/blocks/cocoon-serializers/ after refactoring):
cocoon-serializers-charsets/

All modules involved with C3 should have now their places under
/trunk/subprojects/ or /trunk/tools. If there is any module missing
please let me know.

We will need, of course, to adapt all pom.xml's for working in the new
structure.

WDYT?

--
Francesco Chicchiriccò