cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <scher...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Piwi to join the ASF?
Date Sat, 29 Oct 2011 21:20:28 GMT
On Sat, 2011-10-29 at 13:55 +0200, Christian Grobmeier wrote:
> Hello all,
> we, the maintainers of the Piwi Framework are currently discussing if
> we move to the ASF.http://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/p/piwi/?redir=1
> Piwi is an xml/xslt transformation framework in PHP. The reason I
> write to this list is because Piwi has stolen many things from Cocoon
> :-) We are speaking of Generators, Pipelines, Transformers,
> Serializers etc. As you can imagine, Piwi is some kind of PHP
> implementation of Cocoon. Due to the different nature of PHP we differ
> on various places from Cocoon. But after all you can say, if you
> manage to work with Cocoon, you have a good chance to understand Piwi
> very quickly.
> Therefore it might make sense to run Piwi as some kind of Cocoon subproject.
>
> Piwis goal is to create web applications quickly (as so many frameworks).
>
> One of the problems we currently are facing is community. Piwi has
> only a small community, users know each one face to face. There are
> many strong frameworks out there, like the Zend MVC. This might be a
> problem Zeta Components is facing too (another ASF project).
>
> Now I am an ASF committer and member, working on various projects
> (including the incubator). For me it makes perfect sense to move the
> project to the incubator and start building up a community. Other
> projects like Zeta Components and log4php might benefit from it.
> Anyway, to make this happen we need help. We are only two guys and
> therefore we are looking for other Apache Committers who are
> interested in stepping up as initial committers, mentors, champion.
> Please shout, if you are interested or let me know what you think abou it
>
> Cheers,Christian

Hi Christian,

I can remember http://markmail.org/thread/g3gddotmzdwdc6v5 and
especially Davids answer http://markmail.org/message/ujr7jrvmgddwcmmc
ATM IMO substitute forrest with cocoon and you would have an answer.

Do not get me wrong but I am not sure whether similarity in concepts
justify being subproject of cocoon. Regarding the community I do not
think that being subproject of cocoon would help with that neither.

salu2
codeBusters S.L. - web based systems
<consulting, training and solutions>
http://www.codebusters.es/