cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Hunsberger <peter.hunsber...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [C3] Java version 1.6
Date Tue, 02 Aug 2011 12:28:23 GMT
>>> Hi all guys!!!
>>> My question is instead: is there any advantage we can get by targeting
>>> Cocoon to Java6? Is there any specific Java6 APIs we need to improve

[...]

>> some of my favorite Java 6 features that Cocoon codebase could profit from:
>>
>> * Collections Framework Enhancements and ServiceLoader [1]: Cocoon source code makes
large use of collections, thus usage of these features can improve quality and performance

>> * Internationalization Enhancements [2]: especially now that we should start working
on the new i18n transformer [3]

>> * JMX [4] and Management [5] enhancements: will we ever put this great Cocoon 3 stuff
in production?

>> Last but not least, Cocoon 3 depends on many other frameworks and libraries that
will eventually require Java 6 (and 7, soon) capabilities.

>> Regards.
>
> That's a good list and some fine reasons to switch to Java 6.

[...]

We seem to have this discussion every few years.  There's always
people that can't upgrade.  Personally I think it's time to do it and
I wish we had done it long ago.  With C3 in particular, people should
have no dependencies in production since it is still officially Beta.
Even if they do, they can stay on a previous version after all, if it
is good enough to use at all why can't they stick with what they are
using?  Unless someone can come up with a reason not to I'd say it's
time to start a vote.

Peter Hunsberger