cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Simone Tripodi <simonetrip...@apache.org>
Subject [C3][PROPOSAL] Pipeline CLI
Date Fri, 19 Aug 2011 20:22:25 GMT
Hi all guys,
during the last 2 weeks I've been working as bricklayer (and didn't
know it is fun!) and while working I had an idea I want to submit as a
proposal: Pipeline CLI

Rationale
I often use xslproc to debug XSL stylesheets and see how outputs look
like, so as user I'd like to have a tool that allows me to test C3
pipelines as well, without requiring the pipeline mus be included in a
full C3-based application.

Proposal
I intend to add a simple module which target is a C3-based CLI tool
that allows user define pipelines via CLI, without requiring a
configuration file.

Users would be able to launch it via shell using the following command (PoC):

    c3p <URL> (<component>
(--component-parameter-name>=component-parameter-value)*)+
(-D<pipeline-parameter-name>=pipeline-parameter-value)*

where

 * <component> can be an alias (i.e. 'schema' for
org.apache.cocoon.sax.component.SchemaProcessorTransformer) or the
fully qualified class name (additional components must be included in
the classpath);
 * components parameters are expressed via
--component-parameter-name>=component-parameter-value syntax, and
parameters name are the same defined in the sitemap;
 * global pipeline parameters are defined via
-D<pipeline-parameter-name>=pipeline-parameter-value.

An example could be

    c3p file://~/Downloads/sample.xml xslt
--source=file://~/Downloads/sample.xsl schema
--source=file://~/Downloads/sample.xsd

Where if 'finisher' is not defined, it serializes to stdout.
I thought c3p would be a good shell/bash cmd name candidate that
stands for "cocoon3 pipeline".

It should require cocoon-pipeline, cocoon-sax, cocoon-optionals as
cocoon dependencies and maybe commons-cli to handle cli parameters.

Any thought? more ideas?
I could start adding the initial maven module during the weekend, if agreed.
Many thanks in advance and have a nice weekend, all the best!!!
Simo

http://www.99soft.org/