cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Francesco Chicchiriccò <ilgro...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [2.1] Future of Cocoon 2.1.x... again :)
Date Tue, 16 Aug 2011 08:46:58 GMT
On 16/08/2011 10:37, Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-08-11 at 17:56 +0200, Francesco Chicchiriccò wrote:
>> On 11/08/2011 15:36, Cédric Damioli wrote:
>>> Hi Cocoon team,
>>>
>>> A little more than one year ago, I sent a mail [1] to this list, to get feedbacks
about usage of Cocoon 2.1.x, 3 years after the last release.
>>> I must admit that I received many more answers (privately and publicly on the
list) than I could have expected first.
>>> This proved me the vitality of the 2.1.x community.
>>> So I began to open some tickets [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] and provide some patches
gathered during the last years on my projects, but unfortunately, I received nearly no feedback
from committers around here.
>>> Is there still any interest from devs for the 2.1.x branch ?
>>> Could someone review the patches ? I obviously volunteer to help, to stop having
to run dozen apps with a patched Cocoon.
>>> Has someone interest to prepare and schedule a 2.1.12 maintenance release ?
>> Hi Cédric,
>> some of my e-mails are part of your thread [1], and here I come again :-)
>>
>> In the meanwhile we dismissed our Cocoon 2.1 applications and we are moving everything
to Cocoon 3: even though not mature, looks more promising,

>> Anyway, I am not that familiar with C2.1 ant-based build process, so I don't think
I can help you at all.
> Actually I do not see much issues regarding the ant build. Actually it is pretty much
straight forward to build c2. ./build.sh; ./cocoon.sh

> We (the committer) should find the time to review this patches and apply them if working.
To maintain our c2.1 user will benefit us as soon the first c3 apps are going into production
and people see that it is worth
> into upgrading to c3.

I totally agree but... how is the ant build organized? Are there (unit)
tests? How can we be sure that the applied patched don't break other
functionalities? The above procedure "./build.sh; ./cocoon.sh" can only
ensure that the code compiles, not much more :-)

Is there any document for applying patches to C2.1.X branch? Or any kind
of tests that can be run against the modified source code?

C2.1 is in production in many places so the risk to make a complete mess
for "our C2.1 users" is considerable, isn't it?

Regards.

--
Francesco Chicchiriccò

Apache Cocoon Committer and PMC Member