cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Francesco Chicchiriccò <ilgro...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Fwd: Cocoon-trunk - Build # 49 - Unstable
Date Thu, 11 Aug 2011 06:47:27 GMT
On 11/08/2011 00:03, Steven Dolg wrote:
> Oops!... I did it again
> But this time I'm innocent :P
>
> It took me some time to figure this one out since I didn't touch
> anything near it.
>
> My theory is this:
> With COCOON3-69 ehcache was upgraded from 1.6.1 to 2.4.3.

Ehm, yes, I am actually guilty in this respect: I did this version
upgrade, mainly to solve some dependency issues related to SLF4J,
Commons Logging and Log4j.

> Between those versions, the serialVersionUID of net.sf.ehcache.Element
> changed, so serialized versions of that class cannot be loaded any more.
>
> The build fails because the ehcache for cocoon-profiling is configured
> to be "diskPersistent" and reading the old cache with the new class fails.
> The build fails only sometimes, because it fails only once on each
> node in the build cluster, after that the cache is rewritten with the
> newer version.

This is coherent with what I've found while building C3 on different
machines: from a fresh checkout no errors, from a source tree already
built before updating, first an error, then everything works.

> Should we wait until the build has spread through all nodes and
> stopped failing from this or try something else?
> I'm really for changing the profiling cache to non-persistent - unless
> that breaks something.
> Do we need to preserve profiling results between restarts?

AFAIK, there should be no issue in making profiling results volatile,
but I am really not familiar with profiling internals: who knows better?

Regards.

--
Francesco Chicchiriccò

Apache Cocoon Committer and PMC Member