cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Francesco Chicchiriccò <ilgro...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [C3] Java version 1.6
Date Thu, 11 Aug 2011 06:41:06 GMT
On 11/08/2011 00:42, Steven Dolg wrote:
> Am 04.08.2011 00:03, schrieb Sylvain Wallez:
>> Le 01/08/11 16:26, Nathaniel, Alfred a écrit :
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> C3 is still set to 1.5 as source and target version.
>>>
>>> Java5 is end of life since almost two years now.
>>>
>>> Is there any good reason not to go 1.6?
>>>

>> Here's an additional one to the ones already given : StAX
>> (javax.xml.stream) is included in 1.6, whereas it requires a separate
>> implementation (e.g. Woodstox) in 1.5.
>
> I have another one: trunk cannot be compiled with Java 5 any more.
>
> Adding @Override to methods that implement an interface is only
> allowed in 1.6 and not in 1.5.
> I can see 44 errors due to that in cocoon-sax, cocoon-sitemap,
> cocoon-stringtemplate and cocoon-wicket.
>
> So our build is only working because de facto we are already running
> on 1.6.

I guess that at this point we should urgently choose whether to
officially upgrade to 1.6 or to put in place something like animal
sniffer [1] - as suggested by Simone, in order to retain effective 1.5
compatibility.

If we get stuck in the current situation, instead, we will keep an
inconsistent build behavior where either you need a real 1.5 JDK - it's
been long time since I had something similar installed in my laptop - or
a "human 1.5 parser" :-)

Regards.

[1] http://mojo.codehaus.org/animal-sniffer-maven-plugin

--