cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Dolg <steven.d...@indoqa.com>
Subject Re: [C3] Java version 1.6
Date Tue, 02 Aug 2011 09:00:56 GMT
Am 02.08.2011 10:16, schrieb Francesco Chicchiriccò:
> On 01/08/2011 21:06, Simone Tripodi wrote:
>> Hi all guys!!!
>> My question is instead: is there any advantage we can get by targeting
>> Cocoon to Java6? Is there any specific Java6 APIs we need to improve
>> the existing codebase?
>> If yes, please can you describe?
>
> Hi Simone,
> some of my favorite Java 6 features that Cocoon codebase could profit
> from:
>
> * Collections Framework Enhancements and ServiceLoader [1]: Cocoon
> source code makes large use of collections, thus usage of these
> features can improve quality and performance
>
> * Internationalization Enhancements [2]: especially now that we should
> start working on the new i18n transformer [3]
>
> * JMX [4] and Management [5] enhancements: will we ever put this great
> Cocoon 3 stuff in production?
>
> Last but not least, Cocoon 3 depends on many other frameworks and
> libraries that will eventually require Java 6 (and 7, soon) capabilities.
>
> Regards.

That's a good list and some fine reasons to switch to Java 6.

Actually my approach would be to ask if there's any downside to upgrading.
All I could think of is that someone might be bound to Java 5 (upgrade
policies, special JVM implementations, platform limitations),
which I find highly unlikely (20 months is plenty of time to migrate).

So I'm definitely for upgrading!