cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Hunsberger <peter.hunsber...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [proposal] cocoonstuff.org
Date Thu, 28 Jul 2011 13:28:02 GMT

> Hmm... needing additional documentation is often the sign of some sort of problem. In
this case, we may simply have too many modules. Why don't we have a "cocoon-core" module,
so that people can know where to look at to understand what Cocoon is about? And this core
module should not only be the cocoon-pipeline module, but should also include cocoon-util
(3 classes!), cocoon-sax, cocoon-sitemap, cocoon-controller (3 classes again) and even cocoon-stax
(Stax is provided in JDK 1.6).

This sounds like a good idea, +1

> Also, along with providing more meat in the core, let's be opinionated and clearly say
what Cocoon is about. For 2.2, the website says "Apache Cocoon is a Spring-based framework
(since version 2.2 of Cocoon) built around the concepts of separation of concerns and component-based
development."

> Er... and what does this mean for a newcomer, particularly when Spring already has this
huge amount of components and whose large number of interfaces and abstract classes could
well be confused with "separation of concerns" ?

> What about a probably restrictive but clearer "Cocoon is a versatile pipeline processing
engine, particularly suited for XML processing and multi-format document publication, but
also capable of processing binary content such as images. It provides integration modules
with popular frameworks like Spring, Wicket and JAX-RS"?

Maybe not the best sentence in the world, but I like the intent here.
Again I'd say +1