cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Hunsberger <peter.hunsber...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: vitality of Cocoon: a good basket to put eggs in?
Date Mon, 11 Jul 2011 15:40:56 GMT
On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 10:10 AM, Lars Huttar <lars_huttar@sil.org> wrote:

> I guess my main question is, how reliable is the Cocoon dev team's
> commitment to Cocoon 3.0? How likely are we to see a release version in
> the next 6 months to a year? Will there be bug-fix releases, or will 3.0
> be dropped in favor of another rewrite?

Hi Lars,  a couple of thoughts.  I think  C2.1 is pretty stable and as
a result doesn't see a lot of activity.  It is however still widely
used.  Personally, I hope to start a C3 project some time in the next
year or so.  Like any Open Source project it's as active and safe as
the participants make it.  If you see it as being attractive you
should check it out and see to what extent it meets your needs and if
it doesn't how much work you think it would take to get it where it
needs to be.  I suspect that for the XML pipeline world C3 is still
more cost / time effective than a lot of other approaches. Also, C3
seems to be slowly attracting more attention, I don't think it would
take much to tip it over to being a pretty active project.  It
certainly isn't going anywhere!