cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Pötz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject [proposal] cocoonstuff.org
Date Mon, 18 Jul 2011 18:56:58 GMT
On 07/13/2011 09:30 AM, Steven Dolg wrote:
> We should take a look at introducing "topic" specific modules.
> I fear that the optional module turns into a giant clump of all things
> unrelated.

Generally +1 to topic specific modules. As Steven already knows from
Indoqa projects, I'm a fan of many small modules ;-)

In regard to the still small C3 community (not in terms of people but
rather in terms of SVN changes and mailing list activity) we should
think about having a "Cocoon Stuff" project (analogous to Wicket Stuff)
where everybody that is interested gets commit rights. This also clearly
indicates what we as Apache Cocoon community consider being officially
maintained.
(BTW, the Wicket community is very restrictive in moving code from
wicketstuff.org into the wicket-core codebase because of the mentioned
maintenance reasons).

The wicket folks had a vote between hosting their stuff project either
at Github or at Apache-Extras (powered by Google Code). Github won and
the result can be found at http://wicketstuff.org/ and
https://github.com/wicketstuff/core

But there is also a downside:

  - Cocoon release will become (slightly) more work in the future
    because two code bases have to be released

  - cocoonstuff.org releases are not ASF releases and we can't
    rely on the ASF litigation protection mechanisms anymore
    (which is also true for most opensource software out there)

    (NB: That is the reason why we need 3 +1 votes of PMC members before
         we can do a release and tag it with the Apache name)

  - that the transition has to be done:
    * contact the Apache Board about reserving the cocoonstuff.org domain
    * decide what goes to cocoonstuff.org and what remains at
      cocoon.apache.org
    * rename all packages accordingly
    * create a cocoonstuff-samples module
    * decide whether we (the Cocoon PMC) want to enforce the AL 2.0 for
      all cocoonstuff modules
    * decide about the release voting precedure
    * setup a cocoonstuff.org website (if we use Github we could also use
      it for hosting static websites)
    * find out how to get the Maven artifacts deployed to the
      central Maven repository
    * find a solution for continuous integration (Jenkins) and providing
      snapshot releases (Nexus?)

But IMO there is also an additional benefit: Creating cocoonstuff would
lower the barrier for contributions and could attract more people to get
involved with C3.

WDOT?

     http://s.apache.org/JCPIsDead       http://s.apache.org/tck-trap