cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Simone Tripodi <simonetrip...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [c3] Log*Transformer
Date Mon, 21 Feb 2011 09:56:21 GMT
Hi all,
I'd tend agree with Reinhard if the CloseShield functionality is not
simple (and I mean very simple, almost silly) to replicate into our
module.
I'm sure the CloseShield in the IO takes care of more general
PrintStream use cases rather then just the sysout, so I'm worried that
the proposed patch is not enough...
Just my 0.02 cents,
Simo

http://www.99soft.org/

2011/2/18 Francesco Chicchiriccò <francesco.chicchiricco@tirasa.net>:
> On 18/feb/2011, at 20.28, Reinhard Pötz wrote:
>
>> I had to comment the usage of the Log*Transformers in the sample sitemap because
they break the integration tests (run it.sh or it.bat from C3's root directory). The problem
is that the logfile is written to the file system which doesn't work in a multi-module build
(<map:parameter name="logfile" value="target/logasxml.log" /> -> there is no target
directory at the base directory).

>> IMO the best idea would be changing the transformer configurations to use System.out
but the current implementations close the output stream in their finish methods. That's of
course useful for FileOutputStreams but mustn't happen for System.out.

>> IMO the best solution would be wrapping the usage of System.out with Commons IO's
CloseShieldOutputStream (http://s.apache.org/commons-io-close-shield-outputstream). However,
this would introduce a dependency of cocoon-sax on commons-io which should be avoided for
a minor use case like this.

>> I see two possible solutions:
>>
>> a) move the Log*Transformers to cocoon-optional and wrap the usage
>>   of System.out with the CloseShieldOutputStream
>>
>> b) implement the CloseShield functionality ourselves and leave them
>>   where they are.
>>
>> I would prefer option a) because it's the simpler solution and leads to less code.
>>
>> WDYT?
>
> What if we choose a third option, like changing
>
>                this.outputStream.close();

>                if (System.out.equals(this.outputStream)) {
>                    this.outputStream.flush();
>                } else {
>                    this.outputStream.close();
>                }
>
> in the finish() body, for both transformers?
>
> I made these simple modifications (in the attached patch) and, at least on my machine,
the integration tests are running successfully.