cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Pötz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Cocoon3 <-> Wicket integration
Date Thu, 26 Nov 2009 08:13:52 GMT

Since I was asked several times off-list and there have also been some
mails on the users list asking about the best way to integrate Cocoon
with Wicket, I invested some time into a first implementation. Actually
there are five ideas that I have:

 a) An IRequestTargetUrlCodingStrategy wrapping a Cocoon sitemap
 b) An IRequestTargetUrlCodingStrategy wrapping a Cocoon pipeline
 c) A page component wrapping a Cocoon pipeline
 d) A Wicket reader to be used in Cocoon sitemaps
 e) Wicket generator/transformer, again to be used in sitemaps

a) and b) are useful to add a couple of pipelines to your Wicket
application. c) helps if you want to use a Cocoon pipeline to provide
the content of some parts of a page.

d) and e) help to run a Wicket application in parallel with Cocoon while
Cocoon remains the "leading" framework.

                                   - o -

I added implementations and samples for a, c and d to the SVN. The
generic parts are in the cocoon-wicket module, the Cocoon/Wicket samples
in cocoon-samples and the Wicket/Cocoon samples in
cocoon-samples-wicket-webapp.

I also wrote some initial documentation that you can find at
http://people.apache.org/~reinhard/c3-ref/html/wicket-integration.html

                                   - o -

Currently it's rather a proof-of-concept (especially the reader) than
something that you should use in production, but hopefully a first step
and a basis for further discussions if this is of help to others.

Let me know if this is of interest to you and what you think about the
different approaches.

And finally many thanks to Steven who helped me to hunt down some
bugs in the reader component.