cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Pötz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [c3 monitoring] Statistics module.
Date Sat, 21 Nov 2009 15:24:59 GMT
Dariusz Łuksza wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 5:07 PM, Reinhard Pötz <reinhard@apache.org> wrote:
>> Dariusz Łuksza wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> For last few days I'm back on track with my project. In my latest
>>> patch[0] I've published StatisticsCollector class and cruelty I have
>>> some issues connected with SortedMap (methods:
>>> getAllHitCountListAsc(), getAllHitCountListDesc(),
>>> getHitCountListAsc(long), getHitCountListDesc(long)).
>>>
>>> It appears that this class can't be used via JMX because of
>>> serialization problems that occurs when I gave it costume Comparator
>>> implementation. The Comparator interface doesn't extends Serializable
>>> interface so I've created an extra SerializableComparator interface
>>> that merge both interfaces. This way NotSerializableException were
>>> fixed but next problem has occurs, this time it is connected with RMI
>>> and Java Security policy. IMHO creating exceptions in default security
>>> policy for this minor feature isn't good idea.
>>>
>>> I was wondering what else can I do and right now only idea I had is
>>> that, the only solution for this problem is to abandon this idea and
>>> don't expose sorted statistics list on JXM with is quite ugly
>>> solution.
>>>
>>> Maybe somebody could gave me some a hints for another solution ?
>>>
>>> [0] https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12416127/statistics-StatisticsCollector.patch
>> Dariusz,
>>
>> could you provide a patch that directly shows the RMI problem?
>>

> In attachment is that contains my last changes for this module.
>
> In comparison to last patch I've moved sorting from
> StatisticsCollector inside the Statistics class that is actually an
> MBean.
>
> Error will occur if you will try to execute getHitCountListAsc or
> getHitCountListDesc.

Unfortunately I can't find a solution for this serialization issue of a
TreeMap either.

Let's forget about sorting in the JMX bean unless somebody else comes up
with a solution that doesn't require the configuration of a
SecurityManager. And if we once provide a nice web UI we can sort there.

I applied your patch without the sorting feature.

Many thanks for keeping up your great work also after your very
successful GSoC project.

Do you have any further plans with the cocoon-monitoring module? (e.g.
some integration tests that check that JMX works properly or a web UI)