cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Cocoon and Sling
Date Fri, 01 May 2009 11:45:12 GMT
dynnamitt wrote:
> Thanks man, I didn't know about that Phone-home feat.
>
> I did not however see GPL as an issue since the JVM(7) itself soon becomes a member.
> Does this mean that all apache apps will be stuck in JVM6 land ??

The GPL is "imposed freedom", in that it states that any derived works
of a GPL'ed product should also be GPL licensed itself, and thus that
its source code should be distributed with the product.

When your product (or Cocoon for that matter) uses classes from
XMLCalabash, it becomes a derived product and thus must be GPL'ed. This
is why any GPL library is a big no-no at Apache, since the Apache
license is much more liberal and allows proprietary usage.

The case of the JVM is different, because a Java application is not a
derived work of the JVM, and only relies on the Java specification and
the .class file format. You can then run your program on any virtual
machine that understands this class file format.

And by the way, Apache has an Apache-licensed virtual machine:
http://harmony.apache.org/

Sylvain

--
Sylvain Wallez - http://bluxte.net