cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Cocoon and Sling
Date Fri, 01 May 2009 19:01:56 GMT

On May 1, 2009, at 4:45 AM, Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> dynnamitt wrote:
>> Thanks man, I didn't know about that Phone-home feat.
>>
>> I did not however see GPL as an issue since the JVM(7) itself soon
>> becomes a member.
>> Does this mean that all apache apps will be stuck in JVM6 land ??
>>

> The GPL is "imposed freedom", in that it states that any derived
> works of a GPL'ed product should also be GPL licensed itself, and
> thus that its source code should be distributed with the product.
>
> When your product (or Cocoon for that matter) uses classes from
> XMLCalabash, it becomes a derived product and thus must be GPL'ed.
> This is why any GPL library is a big no-no at Apache, since the
> Apache license is much more liberal and allows proprietary usage.
>
> The case of the JVM is different, because a Java application is not
> a derived work of the JVM, and only relies on the Java specification
> and the .class file format. You can then run your program on any
> virtual machine that understands this class file format.
>
> And by the way, Apache has an Apache-licensed virtual machine: http://harmony.apache.org/

Actually, this isn't quite accurate. Java applications are "derivitive
works" (by the GPL definition) of the Java Library. However, OpenJDK
uses GPL with the classpath exception for the library. The classpath
exception is similar to the LGPL in that it says that your derived
work can be under a different license. See http://freejdk.org/faqs/openjdk_license.html
.

Ralph