cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [c3] Cocoon 3 Profiling student project
Date Thu, 02 Apr 2009 07:34:22 GMT
On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 3:57 PM, Sylvain Wallez <sylvain@apache.org> wrote:

> Andrew Savory wrote:
>> ...If I might make a suggestion: understanding the problem and possible
>> solutions is where the cocoon developer community can really help as well.
>> It's how many of us got started here, with initial discussions that ended up
>> with us having the confidence to contribute code. It also stimulates the
>> community, providing diversity and discussion that might trigger other work
>> as well.
>
> +1. Most of us started by asking dumb questions here.

+1. I did ;-)

 I'm presenting today at a conference on how we work inside the ASF,
and one of my recent additions to this talk is that people have to
overcome their "fear of making mistakes in public" to be efficient in
our communities.

The best learning is by doing, so having those students make mistakes
here sooner than later (they don't *have* to make mistakes, you get
the idea ;-) would probably be good for them. Also in terms of general
community health.

And thanks Reinhard for explaining what you're doing. It might be cool
to have a web page somewhere to explain the "experiment", but that's
your call of course.

-Bertrand