cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Hunsberger <peter.hunsber...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Cocoon and Sling
Date Tue, 07 Apr 2009 14:00:18 GMT
2009/4/7 Juan José Vázquez Delgado <juanjo.vazquez@gmail.com>

> Hi all,
>
> As discussed in a previous thread [1], some people think it would be a
> good idea to take advantage of Cocoon´s pipelining and Sling request
> processing capabilities working together.
>
> We (Sling team) have implemented a first approach to this cooperation
> using Cocoon 3 pipeline engine [2] and the W3C XProc recomendation [3]
> in order to specify the pipelines to be performed. At least in the
> beginning, the Cocoon sitemap concept has been discarded because of
> quite overlapping between this one and Sling resource resolution.
>
> The code is available here [4] and details about how it works here [5].
>
> From now on, I wonder whether Sling is the right place to keep on
> implementing W3C XProc or it´s Cocoon instead. Is this stuff
> interesting to Cocoon community and team?.

This is sort of  interesting, but I can't really say I'd personally
want to use XProc with Cocoon 3.0.  Many years ago I proposed
implementing the Cocoon sitemap using XSLT (essentially combining the
current sitemap with the flow processor all in one spot and one
language); IMO XProc looks like a rather poor reimplementation of
XSLT, almost as complex, with a quarter of the capabilities?  Some
days I wonder if the W3C hasn't gotten just a little too carried away
with some of these standards?

If the Cocoon project was to take on an XProc implementation I'd
really want to see it a completely optional implementation for Cocoon
3.0, it's not the kind of complexity I want in the base code.
However, I'm not sure pluggable sitemap processors are the kind of
complexity I'd want to see either...

--
Peter Hunsberger