cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Dariusz Ɓuksza <dariusz.luk...@gmail.com>
Subject [c3] Reconfigure log4j settings via JMX.
Date Wed, 01 Apr 2009 20:27:34 GMT
Hi,

I'm currently looking over cocoon-spring-configurator sources for a
hints how to implement reconfiguration via JMX and there are my
reflections:

In current solution there is Log4JConfigurator class that handles
configuration of log4j and by calling:

setResource(resource);
afterPropertiesSet();

we could change logging properties.
(May it cause any errors or exceptions when it would be performed on a
fully started system ?)

IMHO current solution is useless if it would be accessed directly by
JMX because as an argument must be passed path to local file with new
setting. Therefor there should be one more layer that would be giving
possibility of review all current settings and possibility of change
one (or more) of them. So I'm thinking of new class eg.
JmxLog4JConfigurator that would warps around Log4JConfigurator. In
this new class we would have tree representation of xml configuration
file that gives us simple way of reconfiguration. After all changes
there should be called save() or commit() method that would collect
all settings and pass them via setResource to Log4JConfigurator and
call afterPropertiesSet() to perform changes.

But there is a small problem, because currently there isn't any way of
obtaining actual configuration, so there must be added one getter
method into Log4JConfigurator that would return all actual settings.

It is my idea of solving "review and reconfigure log4j settings via
JMX" ... is it correct ? ;)

Best,
--
Blog: http://luksza.org