cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Dolg <steven.d...@indoqa.com>
Subject Re: [c3] Cocoon 3 Profiling student project
Date Thu, 02 Apr 2009 08:52:09 GMT
Bertrand Delacretaz schrieb:
> On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 3:57 PM, Sylvain Wallez <sylvain@apache.org> wrote:
>

>> Andrew Savory wrote:
>>
>>> ...If I might make a suggestion: understanding the problem and possible
>>> solutions is where the cocoon developer community can really help as well.
>>> It's how many of us got started here, with initial discussions that ended up
>>> with us having the confidence to contribute code. It also stimulates the
>>> community, providing diversity and discussion that might trigger other work
>>> as well.
>>>
>> +1. Most of us started by asking dumb questions here.
>>

> +1. I did ;-)
>
>  I'm presenting today at a conference on how we work inside the ASF,
> and one of my recent additions to this talk is that people have to
> overcome their "fear of making mistakes in public" to be efficient in
> our communities.

Couldn't agree more.
The feedback we got from the last student group also reflects that point.

Obviously there is some reluctance to start working on open source
projects, because all the devs are "so experienced" and actually asking
some (possibly) dumb questions and proposing ideas somehow scares
people. (At least that's like I felt)

After a couple of weeks however that stops and the students felt much
more confident and willing to contribute (to Cocoon and open source in
general).

> The best learning is by doing, so having those students make mistakes
> here sooner than later (they don't *have* to make mistakes, you get
> the idea ;-) would probably be good for them. Also in terms of general
> community health.

That is exactly the way we want this to be.

However those 2-4 weeks of "research" are entirely intended to get them
acquainted with Cocoon the way it is now and learn the technologies we
think we will need.
We could do this on this mailing-list, but I don't think it is really
useful to ask questions about e.g. Spring here ;-)

Of course this phase will create some ideas about how to actually
implement the feature, but that is actually part of the plan. (We cannot
really keep them from thinking, can we? ;-) )
But we will share this ideas as soon as they appear to make sense and
before we will start implementing them.

I think we did it that way with StAX, but maybe there is something to be
changed or amended.
Input is welcome and highly appreciated (as always) - after all we (ie
Reinhard & me) are also learning at lot by doing this.

Steven