cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heini...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: [C3] Sitemap implemented in Scala
Date Wed, 18 Mar 2009 23:37:26 GMT
On 05.03.2009 00:33, Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:

> Now I'll give a few words of comments why I find my implementation easier to follow.
> First of all, sitemap processing is divided into a few distinct stages:
>   1. Sitemap parsing
>   2. Sitemap reduction
>   3. Sitemap invocation
>      3.1 Actions execution
>      3.2 Pipeline building
>      3.3 Pipeline execution
>      3.4 Catching possible exception
>   4. If exception catched, reduction of handle errors node
>   5. Handling exception with reduction result
>
> What's more, for most of the time code is based on immutable structures which is the
biggest advantage. What I found
> hard with current implementation hard is InvocationImpl passed around that quite a lot
of state. If you combine it with
> InvocationResult switches (cases) that every node has to return in its invoke() method
the result isn't really
> appealing. This sort of resembles mistakes from C2.x where big, mutable objects were
passed around leading to
> unmaintainable code.
>
> I'm interested in hearing your opinions on that subject. I know that's rather hard to
judge rather big piece of code in
> unfamiliar language but I'm sure you can easily get some overall feeling about my implementation
and ideas behind it.

I don't have the time to actually look into your implementation. I'm
just wondering if all the insight views couldn't be used to improve the
Java implementation rather than starting something in a different language.

Joerg