cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Grzegorz Kossakowski <g...@tuffmail.com>
Subject Re: [C3] Sitemap implemented in Scala
Date Tue, 17 Mar 2009 18:59:02 GMT
Leszek Gawron pisze:

> Is there any decent IDE support for Scala? I am not even dreaming of
> scala refactorings.

I know someone will ask this question eventually. ;-)

IDE support is probably the weakest of Scala. At the moment, I'm using snapshot of trunk version
of Eclipse plug-in and
some basic functionality works most of the time.

What works:
  * code highlighting
  * code completion
  * basic refactoring (like rename but not in every case)
  * debugging
  * basic tool-tips displayed when hover on some element (e.g. method call)
  * errors reporting
  * code navigation using mouse and links in the code

What doesn't work or is annoying:
  * method call parameters hints (rather annoying)
  * JUnit integration in Eclipse with test-cases written in Scala (Maven executes them just
fine, though)
  * Bugs, bugs, bugs. It's rather often situation that Scala editor gets mad and does not
highlight your code or code
completion does not work.

Anyway, what I find rather reassuring is the fact that just recently (if I'm not mistaken)
Eclipse plug-in got new
maintainer and some momentum. There is heavy refactoring happening in trunk and people responsible
for that seem to
really know how to develop Eclipse plug-ins.

There is excellent feedback to my bug reports and most of them are fixed almost daily. This
holds some promise for a
bright future of this plug-in.

I've heard that Netbeans plug-in offers little bit less of functionality than Eclipse one
but is much more stable. I
have tried it myself yet, though. IntelliJ seems to support Scala quite seriously but I haven't
tried it myself as well.

To sum it up: I find IDE support rather weak if you compare it to Eclipse's JDT for example
but languges itself
outweighs inconveniences.

--
Best regards,