cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Pötz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [C3] redirect-to/@uri optional?
Date Tue, 24 Feb 2009 17:34:45 GMT
Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:
> Reinhard Pötz pisze:
>> Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> It's again me trying to understand current sitemap design. This time
>>> I wonder if it's intended that  redirect-to/@uri is optional. I fail
>>> to see how implementation of redirect-to handles this case in any
>>> meaningful way.
>> I haven't tried it now what happens if the there is no @uri attribute
>> but from reading the code some exception in the RedirectorComponent will
>> occur. It's probably better to throw a meaningful exception in the
>> RedirectorNode.
>
> So do you agree with me changing both schema and implementation so @uri is required?

yes, go ahead

> llnode
>>> The same concern (about too many of optional attributes) applies to
>>> call instruction.
>
> What about this?

@controller and @select could be mandatory. Once I was thinking about
having a default controller for a sitemap (e.g. defined at the root
element) but have never implemented it. It that case @controller would
have to become optional.

>>> BTW. Was the idea of having extensible sitemap syntax discussed
>>> earlier? As it something new I wonder what was the main idea behind
>>> such a design decision.
>> Why do you think that this is new? When Sylvain wrote the TreeProcessor,
>>  one of his main goals was extensibility.
>
> Right. I wasn't active committer at that time so I can't remember original goals of TreeProcessor.
Anyway, I wonder if
> this functionality was ever used in 2.x? I can't recall such a situation.
>
> If I understand it correctly having extensible sitemap language adds quite a lot to complexity
of sitemap
> implementation. I would like to know what kind of issues extensibility of sitemap language
solves.

There was the idea of designing page flows in XML (very similar to
Spring MVC) but this idea was dropped in favor of Flowscript. You can
guess now how old this idea has to be ;-)
Nowadays I don't know of any use case but when we implemented
cocoon-sitemap we thought that we should make it extensible, especially
because the sitemap module can be used stand-alone very easily.