cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Pötz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [c3] osginize jars
Date Sun, 22 Feb 2009 18:10:34 GMT
Andreas Pieber wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm in the situation that I require the cocoon-pipeline-artefacts in a
> standalone eclipse RCP-application. I like to use the cocoon XML pipeline
> directly from my code to write parts of HUGE XML files directly into the
> database (as domain-objects). I osginized the bundles by using the felix-
> bundle-plugin. I think we could safely osginize all cocoon3 artefacts in that
> way.

Your example patch relies on the automatic generation of import and
export manifest properties. I guess this is intentional but are all
these properties correct?

> There could be some issues with AOP in an OSGi environment and it may also be
> nice to provide some sitemap services as OSGi services. But IMHO this could be
> done in another iteration since the pipeline-API (including cocoon-sax and
> cocoon-stax) work very well without considering these (possible) issues.

Yes, managing servlet-services with OSGi is a different problem. Daniel,
who is the main author of the servlet-service framework, designed it in
a way that the introduction of OSGi shouldn't be too difficult. But I'm
sure that there are still a lot of problems to be solved, especially
OSGi and AOP as you've already mentioned.

> I provided a patch showing how simple it is to osginize a cocoon component
> with the felix-bundle-plugin (in this example the cocoon-pipeline artefact).
>
> I know there was already a discussion about sending patches in the mailing-
> list but IMHO its much easier to discuss it here than creating an issue and
> discussing it in JIRA.

Fully agreed

> On positive feedback I'll open a feature request and provide a patch
> osginizing all cocoon3 artifacts.
>
> So WDYT?

Go ahead - your work is highly appreciated!