cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Grzegorz Kossakowski <g...@tuffmail.com>
Subject Re: Documentation System [was: Spring Configurator Docs]
Date Mon, 16 Feb 2009 20:28:46 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler pisze:
> I think there are too many steps involved in getting something out -
> adding chapters is really a pain; and as we see above we're loosing
> content and nearly noone notices this and nearly noone knows how to
> restore this.

Yes, this system is complex but, to be honest, if we want to achieve all goals that we set
in the past I don't see an
easy solution.

I believe that the whole idea behind our system is not that bad but there are so many small
things that have to be
improved. When it comes to publishing it's not that hard if you make use of nightly builds
that our zone does. Then it's
only editing in Daisy and doing svn ci on the zone.

When it comes to loosing content that nobody noticed. I think there are two reasons for that:
a) massive commits into svn (when someone publishes something) that I'm never happy with
b) problem with Daisy resending change notifications which, I guess, killed everyone's will
to actively track changes

Both result in weak changes review that lead to such unpleasant situations. First is a more
issue with people's habits
but the second is purely an issue with our Daisy installation.

I would investigate but we would need to update our Daisy instance as we are using really
old version. I wanted to do
that a few times in the past but the amount of the work and fragility of our current setup
always scared me away. Still
doing it is a must. I would take this challenge if there was someone more knowledgeable with
Solaris administration
willing to help.

Might it be a task for Amsterdam's hackathon provided we had done earlier preparations?

> And still I think the resulting urls are really not pretty urls, I
> really would prefer something like
> http://cocoon.apache.org/spring-configurator/index.html
>
> But again, maybe it's just me.

No, it's not only you.

Actually, I've played with this over summer a little bit but I decided to give up until we
upgrade our Daisy instance
because that work would probably have to be redone after the upgrade.

The biggest challenge is to track renames correctly including first time rename from Daisy's
ids to real names. I don't
think it's impossible to be done (and not so hard once you know how Maven plug-in works internally)
but still I would
prefer if it have attracted attention of more than one person so chances of a mistake are
minimized.

--
Best regards,
Grzegorz Kossakowski