cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From hepabolu <hepab...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Documentation System [was: Spring Configurator Docs]
Date Thu, 12 Feb 2009 19:33:40 GMT
David Legg said the following on 12/2/09 16:42:
> Luca,
>
>> I did some "documentation port" myself, but I have to admit it is not
>> that easy, since something *may* indeed have changed in the passage...
>> bottom line: you have to know a component's behaviour in both 2.1 and
>> 2.2 before safely porting its doc.
> You're so right about that.  It is a big job.
>
> I started updating the HTMLSerializer [1] but then realized there were
> actually two implementations of it with different sets of parameters.
> Not only that but a lot of 'folklore' and list wisdom was trapped in the
> mailing list and on the old wiki over the last few years and that needed
> to be set free.

As one of the initiators of the current Daisy documentation route, I am
feeling the same pain. My current use of Cocoon is 0% although I can't
get myself to unsubscribe from the lists. ;-)
The current pace of development is too quick to help out in
documentation if you're not heavily involved in the project.

My initial ideas about this setup was that it's fairly easy and quick to
open up a page in Daisy and start adding documentation. That way the
chances of actually adding documentation increase. Anything that takes a
lot of time will spoil the chance of actual writing.
Don't think that each page in Daisy should immediately be added to the
general site, but use the update frequency to let it simmer and improve
the quality.

Bye, Helma