cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Pieber <a...@gmx.at>
Subject Re: [c3] osginize jars
Date Tue, 24 Feb 2009 15:08:21 GMT

On Sunday 22 February 2009 19:10:34 Reinhard Pötz wrote:
> Andreas Pieber wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm in the situation that I require the cocoon-pipeline-artefacts in a
> > standalone eclipse RCP-application. I like to use the cocoon XML pipeline
> > directly from my code to write parts of HUGE XML files directly into the
> > database (as domain-objects). I osginized the bundles by using the felix-
> > bundle-plugin. I think we could safely osginize all cocoon3 artefacts in
> > that way.
>
> Your example patch relies on the automatic generation of import and
> export manifest properties. I guess this is intentional but are all
> these properties correct?

Yes they are correct, and I wouldn't be able to make them better :) At the
company I'm working at we converted some dozen of jars to bundles in this way
and never had any problems, but I think I've read that there's an option to
fire up an Apache-Felix-Engine and run the integration/unit tests there to
make sure that no issues are introduced.

> > There could be some issues with AOP in an OSGi environment and it may
> > also be nice to provide some sitemap services as OSGi services. But IMHO
> > this could be done in another iteration since the pipeline-API (including
> > cocoon-sax and cocoon-stax) work very well without considering these
> > (possible) issues.
>
> Yes, managing servlet-services with OSGi is a different problem. Daniel,
> who is the main author of the servlet-service framework, designed it in
> a way that the introduction of OSGi shouldn't be too difficult. But I'm
> sure that there are still a lot of problems to be solved, especially
> OSGi and AOP as you've already mentioned.

I hope I find some time to dig deeper here too, although it's not required for
me at the moment.

> > On positive feedback I'll open a feature request and provide a patch
> > osginizing all cocoon3 artifacts.
> >
> > So WDYT?
>
> Go ahead - your work is highly appreciated!

I'm happy about that and hope to be able to provide a first applyable patch
till the end of the week.

Andreas