cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Peter Hunsberger" <peter.hunsber...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [c3] Pipeline results
Date Mon, 05 Jan 2009 14:56:05 GMT
On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 2:36 AM, Carsten Ziegeler <cziegeler@apache.org> wrote:
> Reinhard Pötz wrote:
> Ok, so let's throw in some other ideas:
> The pipeline interface has the execute method, we could change the
> return type of that method from void to Object. So the execution of the
> pipeline returns the result (if any).

Yes please, this makes sense to me.  This is how we handle our generic
data source providers we use with Cocoon 2.1  If the 3.0 pipelines
worked this way we can remove an entire layer of wrappers that we use
to pass stuff around.

I do wonder if this might be more than Object: for the generic use
case it's probably just a marker interface, but then specific kinds of
pipelines could inherit from this so as to keep the contracts on what
is being handled by the pipeline clear?  Of course, anyone could
create their own set of interfaces, but we do know the SAX (and maybe
STAX) use cases so it might be nice to have them standardized?

--
Peter Hunsberger