cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Grzegorz Kossakowski <g...@tuffmail.com>
Subject Re: [c3] Pipeline results
Date Mon, 12 Jan 2009 21:09:14 GMT
Reinhard Pötz pisze:

> Thanks Grek! But there is no need to hurry because neither Carsten nor I
> will work on this until Steven has finished his refactorings.

Actually, for me there was a hurry as another series of exams in coming and I wanted to contribute
something useful
before February.

Your problem made me to analyze Cocoon3 Pipeline API very carefully and think about it for
a while. What I found rather
strange is PipelineComponent interface, see:

public interface PipelineComponent {

    void setConfiguration(Map<String, ? extends Object> configuration);

    void setup(Map<String, Object> parameters);

    void finish(Exception exception);
}

Why I think this interface is strange (and confusing)? Becuase it does not deal with the most
important aspect of
PipelineComponent: that it processes something and that it can be combined with other components.
The most important
aspect is neither configuration nor setup of a component.

I started to think that we will have such problems like the one mentioned in this thread as
long as we don't address
issues with PipelineComponent.

I've decided to experiment with the code (after analyzing the problem on a paper) and you
can see results here:
http://github.com/gkossakowski/cocoonpipelines/tree/master/src/org/apache/cocoon/pipeline

This code proves only one thing: that I failed to address an issue mentioned above. What I'm
interested in is if others
share my concerns about PipelineComponent interface (and Pipeline itself) and if you also
see a relation to problem with
 pipeline result?

--
Best regards,