cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Pötz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [c3] Pipeline results
Date Thu, 08 Jan 2009 14:12:59 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>> Reinhard Pötz wrote:
>>> I want to provide a SAX buffer to the pipeline and the serializer just
>>> passes the SAX events to it.
>> Ah, ok.

>>> I'm not sure if I understand your idea: Do you propose to change the
>>> interface this way?
>>>
>>> setup(Map<String, Object> outputParameters,
>>>       Map<String, Object> inputParameters);
>>>

>>> The client of the pipeline API has to put the objects for the serializer
>>> into the output parameters map and the serializer gets them passed so
>>> that it can manipulate them?
>> Yes, but I thought about just using:
>>
>> setup(Map<String, Object> parameters);
>>
>> so we don't differentiate between input and output parameters. Maybe two
>> parameter maps make more sense.
>>
> Rethinking this, we should just use one parameters map. Other parameters
> affecting the output like the encoding or the doctype (html, xhtml...)
> are parameters in this map as well. And in the end these are all output
> parameters, so we would end up with defining input parameters for all
> pipeline components except the finisher, while the finisher just uses
> the output parameters. Therefore one map seems to be the better solution.

TBH I'm still not fully convinced of the parameters approach. If none is
faster than me I will prepare patches for both solutions so that we see
what it means at code level.

I would also be interested in what others think about the two solutions
or maybe there are other alternatives that Carsten and I haven't
considered yet.