cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [C3] Caching
Date Tue, 23 Dec 2008 09:54:32 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> I'm fearing OMS (Over Modularization Syndrome) here. Modularizing is
> good for either very different functional areas or external module
> dependencies. But in the case of caching, it is IMO a core feature of an
> efficient pipeline implementation even if there are some use cases where
> caching isn't useful or possible.
I'm not sure if in this case caching is really a core feature. Looking
back although we have the cool looking pipeline based caching feature
which queries all components in the pipeline etc., I rarely used this
and rather switched to a much simpler caching of the complete pipeline
which was expired based or triggered from the outside. This can be
easily layered on top. But ymmv of course, so I guess it will be
difficult to get a uniform opinion if caching belongs to the core or not  :)

Anyway, I think the current pipeline api at least looks very complex, so
reducing it to the essentials makes imho totally sense. And removing
caching from the core would remove a lot of stuff. But I'm fine to keep
it in the core if it doesn't add any additional dependencies to third
party libs. So I would like to be able to run the pipeline stuff with no
extra deps - of course if you want to use caching, you might use an
available cache implementation. And we should move all stuff related to
caching into a single package which imho creates a nicer overview.

Carsten

--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org