cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [C3] Caching
Date Tue, 23 Dec 2008 07:31:55 GMT
Reinhard Pötz wrote:
> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just started with looking closer at the pipeline stuff we have for c3
>> atm. My first impression was that there are too many interfaces which
>> might confuse users :) As we step away from just a sax based pipeline, I
>> fear we really might need all these interfaces :(
>
> I've already prepared a proposal in my drafts folder that if accepted
> will introduce another interface ;-)
Argh :)

> Nothing prevents us from having e.g. a FileGenerator and a
> CacheableFileGenerator if we want to move all the caching stuff into its
> own module. Or do I miss something?

Yes, that is an option which I immediately disregarded :) The problem I
see is switching from non caching to caching. If you think of the old
Cocoon sitemap, you define shorts names for the components, so you map
"file" to the file generator. First question in this case is, which one
(the caching or the non caching)? Do you want to define short names for
both versions and then decide inside your pipeline? This is too
complicated as you already have to choose the correct pipeline
implementation.
And we double the number of classes just to have something optional.

Perhaps we can come up with some auto-caching functionality? The full
configuraion of a component is used to make up the cache key and if one
of the parameters is a url we do the content modified check for this
url. (Just a first brain dump, so this certainly needs some tweaking).
E.g. the file generator does not need to implement any special stuff for
caching - it just works. If a component needs special handling it can
implement the optional CachingPipelineComponent.

Carsten
--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org