cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Pötz <>
Subject Re: [RT] Reusable code for xml (dom/sax)
Date Mon, 22 Dec 2008 17:41:07 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> We've built a lot of very useful code for dealing with sax events or dom
>  nodes over the past years. As soon as you start doing some xml coding
> outside of Cocoon, you really miss this stuff :)
> So did I in the past months - unfortunately the code we have right now
> is a) hidden and b) has too many dependencies to be really usable as a
> nice library. So in my case I ended up copying bits and classes from
> Cocoon to my own project. After having done this now for the third
> time...I think it's time to do something about it.
> In line with the ideas about Cocoon 3, I think it totally makes sense to
> have a nice reusable xml lib with zero dependencies. This could/should
> also be used as a base for Cocoon 3 (I see some of the famous copied
> classes there already :) )

yes, Grek has already mentioned that I copied those classes and should
have created a common module instead. But I haven't had enough free
cycles for this.

It's good to see you working on it now.

- I'm not sure if we should do something for
> 2.2, but that's another topic.
> So I started a new little project in the whiteboard[3] which contains
> some classes from trunk bundled together. I used a new package to not
> conflict with the existing classes.

> To reduce dependencies I removed all refs to Avalon, some marker
> interfaces like XMLConsumer (I think ContentHandler is sufficient) and
> removed some methods which came out of the old days of Cocoon. I updated
> the code to Java 1.5 and made an OSGi bundle out of the resulting jar.

we should move it from whiteboard to cocoon/subprojects (which doesn't
exist yet but would be a great chance to create it) very soon and
release it.

Apache Cocoon Committer, PMC member

View raw message