cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject [RT] Reusable code for xml (dom/sax)
Date Mon, 22 Dec 2008 15:29:35 GMT
We've built a lot of very useful code for dealing with sax events or dom
 nodes over the past years. As soon as you start doing some xml coding
outside of Cocoon, you really miss this stuff :)
So did I in the past months - unfortunately the code we have right now
is a) hidden and b) has too many dependencies to be really usable as a
nice library. So in my case I ended up copying bits and classes from
Cocoon to my own project. After having done this now for the third
time...I think it's time to do something about it.

In line with the ideas about Cocoon 3, I think it totally makes sense to
have a nice reusable xml lib with zero dependencies. This could/should
also be used as a base for Cocoon 3 (I see some of the famous copied
classes there already :) ) - I'm not sure if we should do something for
2.2, but that's another topic.

So I started a new little project in the whiteboard[3] which contains
some classes from trunk bundled together. I used a new package to not
conflict with the existing classes.
To reduce dependencies I removed all refs to Avalon, some marker
interfaces like XMLConsumer (I think ContentHandler is sufficient) and
removed some methods which came out of the old days of Cocoon. I updated
the code to Java 1.5 and made an OSGi bundle out of the resulting jar.

WDYT?

Carsten

[1] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/whiteboard/xml-utils/
--